Wednesday, April 8, 2020

2020 DRAFT REVIEW (PART 3 OF 4)

#7. JUNEBUG (JUNEBUG)

Bug hopes that Jorge Soler's HUGE year was not a fluke last year, and if it was not a fluke, he and Trevor Story make a nice combo to start off with. Starting off with Charlie Blackmon and Houston SP is a nice little base for Bug, who as you all should know, drafts pretty well. Colorado will be a team to watch for Bug, as he also added Ryan McMahon in the 11th...it's not a bad team to put your hopes on.

In the third Jon added Josh Bell, who I know he considered keeping to begin with, so that has to be a nice, warm feeling for Bug. Andrew Benintendi is going to live up to the promise sometime, right? And Josh Donaldson and Max Kepler add the Twins to teams to watch for Jon.

Corey Seager might be a steal in the 7th. And I like his catching situation with Jorge Alfaro and Buster Posey...especially where he got them both.

As I said, Jon always drafts well. He never makes trades, hell, he never even picks anyone up, but still has more success than most. This seemed to be a draft heading in the B+ direction...that is until he went MIA with five picks left.

INITIAL OPINION: Bug could have nabbed one or two extra needed guys before falling asleep at the end of the draft. Is this the year the draft isn't enough?

BIGGEST QUESTION: Are the Rockies and Twins going to mash?

C+
*****************************************************************************************************************************************


#8. BAD NEWS BARES (BARE)

Besides having the best, most appropriate team name, Bare also had the best pair of keepers in my opinion with Ronald Acuna Jr and Cody Bellinger (with Tim coming in right behind). That said, a guy like Joey Gallo at the end of the first round was a perfect pick for Bare in his situation. Coming from a Gallo owner last year, he is very studly in this league. And his numbers would have translated to a 45-50 HR season had he stayed healthy, which is obviously an important thing.

I agree with going with starting pitching coming around on the turn, but I don't know if I would have gone with Minnesota over Houston. That will be a huge determining factor in Bare's success...provided we have a season. Which Negative Nate as some call me says we will. Not having a fifth round pick and coming back with possibly the top catcher in the league in J.T. Realmuto in the 6th was a smart move. Marcus Semien is boom or bust in this league, maybe a little early, but maybe not. And Shohei Ohtani is solid.

I really like Bare's next five picks: As I said with Luis Robert, I wanted Gavin Lux, but I just didn't know where to take him (them). Bare followed suit in the 7th with Lux, then added St. Louis, and Jack Flaherty for his backup SP, and Houston RP, which could be the best of the bunch. Then he added Ryan Braun and J.D. Davis, two really solid hitters.

INITIAL OPINION: Bare drafted a pretty damn solid lineup, with solid pitching, but his bench might be a little light.

BIGGEST QUESTION: Will there be baseball in 2020. Bare has a contender

A-
*****************************************************************************************************************************************

#9. (CALL ME) GOOKANUT (TIM)

Unlike some of you unoriginal bastards, Tim will change his team name. Just getting that out of the way. Although I like Bare's keepers a cunt hair better, Tim could easily have the upper hand in that department with Mike Trout and Nolan Arenado. The question for the rest of us, is when is Tim going to draft bad, so he's not in the hunt, and therefore does not mortgage his future draft for a chance at greatness (a Can O' Corn title). He does it seemingly every year, and more power to him since he fields a team that is a contender. So is this the year it stops?

Without a first round pick (as previously mentioned), Tim started off his team with Trea Turner. I have to say I don't like that pick in this league. I keep reading how he is keeper quality, so maybe I am wrong, but for me, I think I would have gambled on the health of Aaron Judge. I also was a bit surprised Vladimir Guerrero Jr. wasn't the choice since a former league member showed me texts of Tim touting him as a first rounder in trade massaging ;).

I like going pitching with Cleveland all the way at the end of the 3rd, and it's hard to find another staff I would have gone with at that point. But I wasn't a fan of Bo Bichette coming back in the early 4th. With Trea Turner already in the fold with the only non pitching, non keeper pick at that point, I really didn't like it. Maybe Bichette becomes a star, but I wasn't a fan considering Tim's resources.

With no 5th or 6th round picks, Tim did really well with Edwin Encarnacion in the 7th. Sure, he's 37 years old, but he's also averaged 37 home runs each year for the last 8 years. He's consistently picked later than he should be and Tim benefits.

Timmy also doesn't take any picks off, so he fielded the best team he could given the picks at his disposal.

INITIAL OPINION: Tim did enough to be competitive, but is it enough to be in the hunt to keep up the run he's had?

BIGGEST QUESTION: Is banking on Trea Turner and Bo Bichette as his top two hitters picked and playing the same position...not a DH type position at that going to be the right move?

C+


No comments: